Tuesday, January 20, 2009

11/20/2007 Chipper the Squirrel

I just filled up the tub to take a bath while my son naps but it was too HOT so now I am piddling around in my robe waiting for the water to cool.
This weekend we went to WNC to visit relatives who we wont see on Thanksgiving and Jason's little cousin Kaitlyn showed me her pets. She has caught all of them and keeps them in little dwellings she has fashioned herself. What impressed me more than a first grader keeping potentially rabid, wild animals in her house was her patient and gentle demenor with them. Typically she is running through their doublewide trailer singing a made up song about how your head looks like a cross between a lightbulb ("lite-bub") and a toilet bowl while slinging a doll by it's hair haphazardly against portrait lined walls.


Chipper, her pet squirrel is very likely the fattest, happiest squirrel I have ever seen. At night Chipper has to stay in his little cage, but during the day he is free to roam the trailer and the out-of-doors. He leaves the house and comes back just like a cat! Kaitlyn told me about her pet racoon, Bandit who left one day and never came back. She didn't seem to miss Bandit too much. Now she has Chipper the squirrel, bunny the bunny, and a couple of baby catepillars to care for.


Kaitlyn was always the baby of her immediate family and she is getting used to Fox. They really like each other and have lots of fun playing. They look so similar they could be brother and sister.


I guess my bath is cool by now.

No comments:

Post a Comment