Tuesday, January 20, 2009

3/14/2008 Shitdamn

There is something powerful about swearing.

Whenever possible I try to interject an obscenity into normal conversation just for an added "punch" or general emphasis on my seriousness. Some people can swear seamlessly; as if they were reciting a nursery rhyme or the pledge of allegiance. Even on the cleverest of days, my attempts at creatively using foul language fall short from the ideal which lives in my mind.

When someone walks into my life using "bad" language freely I still feel startled. Not only does it make me wonder who this person is and if their mother speaks like that, it also causes a physical reaction. My heart flutters and I feel a tad uncomfortable, kind of like getting really exciting news that your ex-boyfriend is going to come to a party you will be attending with your present boyfriend. For someone to approach a total stranger and use R-rated words without a hitch; as if they were chatting about weather, takes a degree of indifference which I think is remarkable.

Maybe I’m really not interested in cussing all the time, or being perceived as someone who "just doesn’t care", but there is something appealing about using these "forbidden" words just to see what happens!

Delivery is important and not to go unaddressed. I neither have interest in yelling swear words, nor having swears yelled at me. Finesse is key in successful swearing, and it is crucial for the integration of "bad" language into "acceptable" language. Being creative in your language is good, and older folks are less likely to reprimand you if humor is employed.

No comments:

Post a Comment