Tuesday, January 20, 2009

6/24/2008 Best Ice Cream Ever

Mayfield Birthday Cake Ice Cream

Now that the weather is nice and I have started spending more time outside, my ice cream obsession has been kindled anew. Where my husband seeks refreshment with millions of canned beers, I choose to spend my caloric allowance on a goodly-sized portion of my favorite ice cream flavor-du-jour.
I go through phases with ice cream and always have. For years I was devoted to Breyers Natural Vanilla Bean with Hershey's chocolate syrup, then caramel syrup, and finally, crumbled up Oreos.
In college I went to the Hagan Daas stand in the Student Union every day and got a milkshake made from half orange sorbet and half french vanilla. Those milkshakes came in huge, 30 oz cups and I honestly got one every day my freshman year, as it was the only palatable food available at any of the campus eateries. I actually lost 15 pounds that year consuming a primo ice cream shake every day, certainly due to the lack of decent vegetarian food otherwise.
The past few years I have been partial to Edy's chocolate ice cream. My parents and I conducted a taste test between Edys, Breyers, and Mayfields chocolate ice cream. The Edys was much darker and cocoa-ier than the other two. The Breyers seemed thin and flavorless in comparison, and the Mayfields was just a little bit better than the Breyers. The vote was unanimous; Edys Chocolate is supreme.
Which brings us to now; June 2008. While vacationing at the beach I bought an ice cream cone for Fox and I to share, and I bought the Birthday Cake flavor mainly because they didn't have any of my other stand-bys, and the other options were those crazy kinds with chunks of chocolate covered monkeys and cinnamon cherry gummi sprinkles. Plus it had a ton of artificial blue coloring in it, and I usually end up liking "blue" flavors best. Like that blue PowerAid; YUM.
Long story short, Mayfields Birthday Cake Premium Ice Cream is my new favorite of all time ice cream. I highly recommend it and give it a 10 out of 10 ice cream carts, which is a system of rating ice cream flavors that I just made up.

No comments:

Post a Comment