Tuesday, January 20, 2009

3/11/2008 Mystic-Lee

Last night when I was making dinner my neighbor, Lee came over to get some help researching some books he's interested in reading. One of his passions is paranormal photography, more specifically Non-naturalistic, paranormal orb photography.

On more than one occasion, Lee has produced some interestingly haunting images he has taken with his 35mm camera, which he has enlarged to an 8" by 10" format for more detailed inspection. This is not one of Lee's photos, but this is the type of which I speak:



Wikipedia defines Orbs (paranormal) as "the popular name given to typically circular anomalies appearing in photographs. In photography and video, orbs appear to be balls, diamonds, or smears of light with an apparent size in the image ranging from a golfball to a basketball depending on the distance of the dust particle to the lens. Orbs sometimes appear to be in motion, leaving a trail behind them." And having taken photography classes with entire sections devoted to avoiding these flaws, I agree with their assessment.
Lee, however feels plagued by these nebulous fields, seeing them in every roll of film he has developed, and in strange proximity to himself or his cronies.
Lee is not a dusty guy. I went into his house the other day and it was far cleaner than mine. Absolutely, no question about it. I'd bet he sweeps, then vacuums, then mops, then sweeps again, just like the pros do it. I know he doesn't have that "clean vibe" about him, but I swear it's true.
He has detected orbs in pictures he has taken with his camera. He has seen them in pictures taken with cameras of others. He has seen them around his image in pictures taken decades ago with god-knows-whose camera....
...and he takes his film to be developed at Walgreenes. Everyone knows that that place isn't dusty. Walgreenes is as clean and sterile as the inside of a syringe. I'm sure their photolab is no exception. You can eat off their pharmacy counter, and I have.
So why are these mysterious orbs fixed on Lee?
Last night he said: "I ain't skeerd of um. My Grandaddy done bap-tized me when eyes saved, AND I been smudged by the natives up at mount mitchell, so nuthins gonna hurt me; I jus wanna know why!"
We found a few books on the subject and wrote them down for Lee to take to the Library or bookstore. He is convinced they are representations of intuitions he should be recognizing for guidance, or perhaps the presence of a relative who has passed on, or in the worst case, signals of an evil presence in his realm warranting a 'vision quest', or a 'fast' or something in that element.
The scientific approach is certainly the easiest explanation, but it is tempting to indulge in Lee's idea of paranormal orb photography.
And he is VERY serious about it. He wants to write a book about it, and I want to read it.

No comments:

Post a Comment